Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW M won't build a four-cylinder M engine due to lack of torque from small displacement

This is amusing. BMW M already stated they would not do an M four-cylinder engine a while back. This despite the fact of course that the E30 M3 started off with a four-cylinder engine and a naturally aspirated one at that.

Click here to enlarge

What is the reasoning? This from M head Frank Van Meel:

"We are really happy with our six-cylinder [engines] because for BMW and BMW M that is our heritage engine. We started with six-cylinder in the M1 so it has a long history. BMW is a six-cylinder inline company and, for us, it’s an iconic engine.

If you look at it with a four-cylinder, I don’t see characteristics that I would like on an M car, on a small displacement turbocharged four-cylinder engine. I wouldn’t do a four-cylinder standalone turbocharged with high performance, because you always have the characteristic that if you want high performance you lose the low-end torque and you lose the overall driveability you want to have from the car.
    "

Well then how does he justify a 1.5 liter three-cylinder in the i8? That is supposed to be a sports car yet BMW gives it an engine so small the performance is basically a joke for the money they are asking.

He is right that a smaller motor will have more lag and less torque but doesn't Mercedes somehow produce a four-cylinder CLA45 AMG sedan with a 2.0 liter turbo four-cylinder that performs similarly to the i8 at a fraction of the cost and without the need for a hybrid drivetrain?

The reasoning here is not that BMW M can not make a powerful four-cylinder with little lag and plenty of torque. There are a bevy of turbo four-cylinder motors on the market making big power and torque. Even the BMW B48 2.0 liter four-cylinder is well over 300 horsepower to the wheels.

BMW M simply wants to share as many engines and parts as possible. You can not make the argument that a four-cylinder is too small when you go even smaller with a 1.5 liter three-cylinder in your supposed sports car of the future.

BMW will argue a hybrid drivetrain is necessary to supplement a four-cylinder motor but that isn't true. Not only are the Mercedes CLA/GLA45 AMG models evidence of this but a car is much lighter without a hybrid drivetrain.

Maybe BMW's real problems are weight and cost cutting?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No reason to rule out a four cylinder for an M car in the future. However, they are already using a turbo six in their lightest M car, so no reason to go backwards. If they come out with something lighter than the 2 series, then that might be a good application for a turbo four cylinder.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    No reason to rule out a four cylinder for an M car in the future. However, they are already using a turbo six in their lightest M car, so no reason to go backwards. If they come out with something lighter than the 2 series, then that might be a good application for a turbo four cylinder.
    A four would be lighter and offer better balance in the M2. Not exactly going backwards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Imagine the amount of money they could make with an E30 M3 moniker in the M2. I can see the advertisements now. Start off with an E30 M3 track car (must be a race car too) lapping the nurburgring, then being passed by an M2, as it upshifts, a small blip of a flame emits from the exhaust. Then display the 4 cylinder engine in the M2 and how amazing it is, and how BMW heritage matters and blah blah blah. Then demonstrate in other adverts how it's main rival is the CLA45 and how they plan to kill it with fire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guess these "engineers" never drove a KA-T engine before (turbo KA24DE). That 4 cyl motor is solid with enough torque to push anything you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve B. CBR Click here to enlarge
    Imagine the amount of money they could make with an E30 M3 moniker in the M2. I can see the advertisements now. Start off with an E30 M3 track car (must be a race car too) lapping the nurburgring, then being passed by an M2, as it upshifts, a small blip of a flame emits from the exhaust. Then display the 4 cylinder engine in the M2 and how amazing it is, and how BMW heritage matters and blah blah blah. Then demonstrate in other adverts how it's main rival is the CLA45 and how they plan to kill it with fire.
    That would be damn cool.

Why exactly can't BMW make an E30 style coupe that weighs under 3000 pounds? Hell, how about 3200 pounds even?

Even better I'd love to see them buy up some E30 chassis' and do a re-release of the E30 M3 with modern suspension components and a new turbo I4. Now that would be a real limited edition M car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TEC Click here to enlarge
    Guess these "engineers" never drove a KA-T engine before (turbo KA24DE). That 4 cyl motor is solid with enough torque to push anything you want.
    It's just nonsense from M. They go back on their word all the time. Remember when M SUV's were never going to happen and BMW refused to do front wheel drives?

They will sell you anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And rightfully so - it's stupid, from a business perspective, not to give consumers the vehicle/drivetrain configs they actually want.

I have nothing against a 4 cylinder BMW M model, as long as it is well-executed. But at this point, I just don't see the market for it - regardless of what you think about it, people who buy BMW M cars probably expect a certain minimum # of cylinders to go along with the prestige. BMW can't say that outright, which is why I think we get this type of messaging that seems counter to the company's own history.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
    people who buy BMW M cars probably expect a certain minimum # of cylinders to go along with the prestige
    We're not talking about sticking a four-cylinder in the M5.

AMG's always had large displacement. Yes the CLA45 works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    “You can not make the argument that a four-cylinder is too small when you go even smaller with a 1.5 liter three-cylinder in your supposed sports car of the future.“

Gas power is not what i8 or any of the i range are about tho is it! The sports cars of the future are all about electric power the i8 is just the start of what Bmw plan to bring to the table. There not going to put a powerful polluting multi cylinder gas engine in a car they want to make environmentally friendly are they.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E92 420 Click here to enlarge
    “You can not make the argument that a four-cylinder is too small when you go even smaller with a 1.5 liter three-cylinder in your supposed sports car of the future.“

Gas power is not what i8 or any of the i range are about tho is it! The sports cars of the future are all about electric power the i8 is just the start of what Bmw plan to bring to the table. There not going to put a powerful polluting multi cylinder gas engine in a car they want to make environmentally friendly are they.
    Why did they call it a sports car then? I also would hardly call a 2.0 or 3.0 liter a powerful polluting engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Why did they call it a sports car then? I also would hardly call a 2.0 or 3.0 liter a powerful polluting engine.
    Because that's what it is, a future take on what sports cars will be, electric and "environmentally friendly". And no In terms of gas powerd engines 2.0 or 3.0 arnt terribly polluting, but when compared to and installed in situ with electric motors then yes they are polluting and look bad. Im sure in a few Years the i sports cars won't even has a gas powered unit!
    UK
    V8Bait tuned
    Built motor, TD turbo, FBO 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The NSX is more of a sports car of the future than the i8. The i8 is horribly underpowered.

I really doubt if they used a four-cylinder in the i8 it would be a big polluter. They went too small on the engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Because that's what it is, a future take on what sports cars will be, electric and "environmentally friendly". And no In terms of gas powerd engines 2.0 or 3.0 arnt terribly polluting, but when compared to and installed in situ with electric motors then yes they are polluting and look bad. Im sure in a few Years the i sports cars won't even has a gas powered unit!
    A hybrid 2.0 would not have changed much of anything emissions wise and it would be a far better car for it. 1.5 three cylinder is a joke.

Furthermore, they say themselves a four-cylinder is too small for a performance car. Well wtf is a 1.5 three then?